Friday, April 18, 2014

Day 1

Kitcheree, Kitchari, Kitcharee, Kitchadee or Kitchree.... is a type of porridge made from a base of mung dal and basmati rice.  A kitcheree cleanse is when an individual partakes in a mono diet of kitcheree for a minimum of 7 days.  The cleanse actually requires a lot more than just eating kitcheree. Here's some more basic details from Banyan Botanicals.
In my research, before starting the cleanse, I came across some differing opinions.  As explained in a link below, Dr. Ajit claims that one should not combine the kitcheree with any vegetables, while others, most, suggest adding 1-2 cups of vegetables.  My doctor recommends going with the second opinion.  Perhaps when my system is a bit more functional, I'll give the pure rice/ mung approach a try.  I've heard this can lead to some constipation.    
Another interesting issue I've come across are the recommendation for the few recipes out there.  Most recipes include some spices that may not be so friendly to particular doshas and or imbalances.  Many recipes out there include black mustard seed and hing. Here's a common one, also found in The Ayuvedic Cookbook by Amadea Morningstar. Morningstar, on the other hand, offers other options, based in one's Dosha.  
Since I have a strong disposition toward Pitta, my doctor recommended a recipe that seems much simpler and more cooling.  While she still supports the use of hing, she recommends that I use cumin seed, fennel, coriander, fresh ginger and turmeric.  Also, she takes what I see as a more traditional approach, where the spices and ghee are not added till the end of the cooking process vs. the more common approach of adding the spices and ghee in the beginning and sauteing  the rice mung mixture a bit before adding water.  I've seen the previous approach used in many styles of Ayuvedic cooking, but I'm not if difference matters.  The blog True Ayurveda supports the first approach as the is the "traditional" way and writes about this in this post.  Is it a regional thing? I wonder.  
One other idea I'd like to mention is that most recipes call for a ratio of rice to mung where there is more rice.  Again, I wonder when this became so universal.  Here, Dr. Ajit explains that in some cases, it is better to use more mung than rice depending on your state of digestion.  While I have strong Pitta constitution, I am also heavily influenced by Vata, have elimination issues and get backed up very easily.  While it is good for me to eat cooling foods, I also need to eat foods that will move along with more ease.  Perhaps someone has some more advice for me on this issue.  
My personal long-term goal is to eat more alkaline producing foods while using supporting practices to increase digestive fire without aggravating Pitta.  Implementing Agni Sara and Udiyanna Bandha as well as various asanas have increased my digestive fire well.  You can see some videos of these practices below.       

Here's the recipe I used for the first day:

In a pot, combine:
1/2 cup of Basmati Rice and 1/2 cup of Yellow Mung Dal (pre-soaked overnight)  
1 beet and 1 cup of kale
4 cups of water
Simmer for 1 hour

Saute:
2 tbls of Ghee
1 teaspoon of Cumin seed, Coriander seed, Fennel seed, fresh Ginger and fresh Tumeric (or powder if you can't find fresh).
Add to Rice and Mund Dal. 
Then add 1tsb of Hamalyan rock salt.  I would use less next time.  (The recipe I posted from Dr. Blossom's sight uses Kombu or seaweed.  This is also recommended in Morningstar's book.)

Garnish with:
Roasted Pumpkin seed, roasted Coconut flakes.
Cilantro and ripe Avocado.

YUM!!
It definitely filled me up well but did have an effect on my regular routine.  I may try less rice tomorrow and see if that is lighter on the system.  The coconut, pumpkin seed and avocado really topped it off.  I can't wait to serve this to some friends.  


Here's the Agni Sara method I'm currently practicing: Link

Here's another video of Agni Sara I find pretty interesting and will probably try out soon.    



Here's Scott Blossom demonstrating Uddiyana Bandha in the way it is practiced during the Shadow Yoga Warm-up routine.   
 

To top the day off, I was able to receive some Marma work, otherwise called Marma Chikitsa.   I wasn't really sure what to expect nor really sure how to find a practitioner that was the real deal.  I've seen several sights that offer Marma therapy, but felt the information on many those sites was seriously lacking.  I finally came across Bud Tansey's site and felt that I would be in good hands.  While he's a young lad, I feel that he takes his work very seriously and basically lives it each and every day.  It was fascinating and has provoked me to learn more about this ancient art form.  Some say it is a sister science to Ayurveda, but I've also heard that it comes out of Siddha medicine, which is slightly different.  It is also implemented in the Kerala based martial art called Kalaripayttu.       
A lot of information came out of the session, including some personal practices and some revelations on why I seem to be struggling in certain areas.  You should check out the videos he has posted on his site.  He has some warm-ups, which are termed pavanmuktasana, which are similar in spirit to the Shadow Yoga warm-ups I do before beginning the preludes.  It was especially nice to end the session by attending a Kirtan one floor down in the Bhakti Center. 
  
        

No comments:

Post a Comment