Sunday, April 20, 2014

Day 4

Much better today, although I thought I was going to lose my breakfast after drinking the three tablespoons of Rasyana (medicated ghee).  I managed to keep it down somehow and took my daughter out for a bit.  Such a good sport.  I would have been so upset If I were her.  She's so awesome and I'm so lucky to have her in my life.
Practiced Balakrama today, and that was awesome as usual.  Karkotaka is still virtually impossible with my knee.  I'm just trying to get the flow and breath rather than going for depth.  Most of my postures are pretty funny, but I love the flow and progression.  I need to focus more on grounding into the feet and getting the return to happen in the arch of my foot.  Bud was talking about how I actually have the strength in my foot to keep the arch, but I'm just not accessing it. It amazing how a long journey can seem so miniscule when you get to the point of discovery.  You work so hard to clear the eyes, and then the real work begins.  I need to explore more on the transfer of energy in the structure of the foot.  I liked this video that I came across in an email from Leslie Kaminoff.  Something to explore in asvatastana and all of the variations.
I really need some more time with a Shadow Yoga teacher.  The past couple of workshops I've attended seemed to be dedicated to the shoulders.  There were some elusive comments on the feet, something about grounding and relaxing the sole of the foot, but I'm not really sure what that means yet.  When I relax my foot, my medial arch just collapses down into the ground, especially in poses like samapada.  Here's a great website I'll try to explore more tomorrow in my downtime.    
Easter dinner was really hard.  All of the good food, especially the deserts and treats.  That was a hard task, watching everyone eat their food, enjoying themselves while I sucked down my porridge.  
My Doctor said to push on with the cleanse and gave me some great recommendations.  I'll need them tonight, since I'll be taking the castor oil.
Fun! Fun!! Fun!!!

Just a note on Karkotaka.  This is a pose that has come out of the Shadow Yoga Preludes, specifically Balakrama.  I have seen other versions that are a bit different than the ones practiced in Shadow Yoga.  It seems to have a couple of forms and requires some serious leg strength, especially to protect the knee.  One teacher told me that Zhander Remete placed it in the Surya Namakara movement to balance out the heat produced by the upward pose.  I wish I had written that down at the time so that I could quote it better.  Writing during class is sort of frowned up in this school.  That's something I haven't encountered since my Bata days.
Karkotaka is a naga, or a serpent.  I'm not sure if this relates to the legendary Karkotaka, or just the general idea of a serpent.  I'm also not sure how the metaphor relates to cooling, except that serpents are cold blooded.  There is so much underneath each movement in these preludes.  I find it very exciting.  But it also makes me think about how much has been lost in the asanas over the years.  Aside from how the posture stretches and strengthens us, do we even know what we are doing with asana?  

No comments:

Post a Comment